Monday 25 January 2016

Weekend Moments

Hello Lovelies,
How are you? I seem to be struggling to post very often at the moment. Once again it's got to Sunday evening before I'm managing to write a post for this week.
My week was busy but thankfully there was chance to slow down this weekend. Saturday morning found my crocheting in my pyjamas. Who remembers when I made these PJ trousers from an old bed sheet? ( the blog post is HERE if you would like to see) 


I'm really enjoying making these colourful log cabin granny squares, and as they multiply I'm enjoying playing around with patterns..........

 I think you will have so stand back and squint a bit to see the design, but that's ok :0)

Sitting on my bottom crocheting was not getting me any miles towards this years 1000 mile challenge though, and the sun was shining....time to pull on my walking boots and get outside.......


I love to be alone and listen to the birdsong.  I always think of winter as the season of birds ( spring and summer are flowers, autumn is leaves ). The hedgerows were full of flocks of finches, Well I think they were finches...as soon as I got near they took flight..........


And went to perch in a tree further away.........


I spent quiet a lot of time watching where I was walking, Friday's rain had left the ground very muddy.........


But the sunshine was so pleasant and I did notice lots of textures the shadows enhanced.......


And bright reflections in the field puddles..........


Sheep grazed contentedly on the grassy undulations made way back in the middle ages. It's amazing to thing they still survive today......


I loved the sunlight streaming through the bare branched trees...........


And the cotton wool clouds.........


Back home I smiled at the Blue tit on my peanut feeder.........


I try and make sure these feeders are never empty and I'm looking forward to taking part in the Big Garden Birdwatch again this year. It's next Saturday or Sunday. Info HERE


Back indoors the winter sun was shining right into the living room...........


I love that there is one, solitary orange centred Daffodil, in this bunch I picked up on Thursday........


My mantle dolls seemed to be enjoying the sunlight too.......


Today was a grey affair. Hubby and I went for a walk in the city.........



The mighty river Trent was flowing quickly and the wind was pretty chilly.......


We stopped to watch this ...well I'm calling it a Grebe....I think that's what it was but I'm not sure............



In the remembrance gardens there was not much to see. Well it is January I suppose. I loved these tiny Cyclamen.........


And I really like this rockery. It was very overgrown at one time. Now you can see the lovely rocks and it looks tidy...but very bare. Wouldn't  it look amazing with some miniature spring bulbs and masses of those cyclamen ...........


The gardens are behind the imposing war memorial and on this colourless day the brightness to the ironwork really stood out. I love this shade of turquoise........


 There are information boards here, oh look the Rockery back in the 1920's looking so well cared for......


 Soon it was time to head home and make the Sunday dinner, but brightness late afternoon tempted us outside again...this time I wore my wellies :0)
  

The twilight was mild and still......


And the little church looked lovely in the fading light at 5pm.........


Back home my windowsill garden looked cheerful against the black background ........


Did you see the pussy willow branches? I don't think I have ever bought these before, but I love them. I picked them up in the supermarket ( Morrisons) and put them in a vase with water...is that right? I hope so as I'm very taken with gazing at these cute, fluffy pom poms ......


I hope you have a good week lovelies.
Jacquie x

20 comments:

  1. Your squares are very pretty and bright...as are your wellies! I always enjoy walking with you. Such a lovely place to be able to walk and look at the beauty surrounding you. Your flowers and Pusey willows are very sweet too. I hope your week is a wonderful one.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whau, your countryside is so lovely! Incredible tree with all the twisted branches! The crochet is very colorful and with the variation of colors it looks very special. Ohhh that church is so absolutely beautiful!! Oh now muddy places are no fun but with wellies can make it almost enjoyable. :) Great Willow branches. I have never seen Willow except in photos. We are still covered in snow! Wishing a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure about purchased pussy willows, but I find that freshly picked ones will quickly become covered with yellow pollen in vases of water indoors, whereas if you allow them to dry out they last a bit longer. I hope you are planning to share your pattern for the granny square design at some point? It's looking really good, and actually achievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I was inspired by your twigs and bought a bunch when I was out shopping and I left them without water in the vase....but I don't think they will last long because our terrible twin kittens are biting off all the lovely pussy willow catkins!! My floor is peppered and my twigs are bare!

      Delete
  4. I love your walks and bouquets. My bridal bouquet in 2011 was Daffodils, Pussy Willows, and Catttails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us in your wintry walks. The bird is definitely a Great Crested Grebe, they are stunning birds. Your crochet is looking great, it is good to see something different from the norm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see some sunshine. Crochet looking good!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos - it's so good to get out for a good walk isn't it?! We've managed to squeeze in about 15 miles over the weekend with a walk each day. I think those birds you thought were finches are probably redwings. They flock like that and then land in trees and look a little larger than a finch. Zoomed in I can see see a paler underside too. They could possibly be fieldfares too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the PJ's, holding up well! Some of those were on my list of Christmas makes this pasted year, in flannel, a big hit. In fact I have a request from the youngest for a pair (once I'm over this head cold). I see the diamond pattern in your log cabin grannys, I look forward to seeing it grow. Those flowers would be gorgeous amongst those rocks!(I'm closing in on 50 miles for the month so far.)Lovely photos from your walk thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in an area loaded with the pussy willows and we always left them dry. They can last an incredibly long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pussy willow is gorgeous isn't it. What a lovely city walk, I was going to say Great Crested Grebe as well, they're wonderful birds. They do a very pretty courtship thing bowing their necks to each other. Your Sunday sounds quite blissful. I'm hoping you have a good week as well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant PJs! I'm managing to take Otto on a little walk each day, only for about 15 minutes but it's good to have a focus...love the walks you go on, such great scenery :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful pictures, you are so inspiring, helps me to think about getting out there and walking , bitter cold in Iowa right now so only a very short jaunt. Love your blocks, they will be an amazing afghan when finished. Enjoy!and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such wonderful pictures, you are so inspiring, helps me to think about getting out there and walking , bitter cold in Iowa right now so only a very short jaunt. Love your blocks, they will be an amazing afghan when finished. Enjoy!and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I do remember you making your pj's. The pussy willow is gorgeous and it should sprout leaves soon. Good you put them in water.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1000 miles, well there is a challenge. Good luck and keep showing us your lovely photography. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow....I love your very Colorful Granny Squares...those are so very pretty....

    I love your Walking Photos...they are so neat, so beautiful. Thanks for Sharing your Photos of your Walking Trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must admit the log cabin design is not at the top of my list as I feel it may just bring on a migraine! Maybe if I did this in white's it may help :) Your walk looked to be pretty muddy, and I daresay it hasn't got any better this weekend either, it is lovely to come back to a lovely roaring fire and spring time flowers though. Have a wonderful mud free Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your romantic photos. They remind me of my granny's village. The sunlight is such a beauty through the tree branches..
    Jane (sorry for using my hubby's account here)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely blog. Have just learned how to crochet :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.