Thursday, 1 June 2017

Thrifty Times :: May Update

Hello Lovelies,
just a short Thrifty update this month to let you know I'm still focused on my money saving goal for 2017.
I think I'm finally getting out of the spending habit.... well mindless spending...we have some big experiences coming up but that's ok. It's all about priorities isn't it. 

I don't want to save just to have money in the bank. I do want to save for specific goals and to build an emergency fund.

I'm still shopping carefully, mostly at Aldi these days. Still using cash and making a list.


Our garden is in disarray at the moment due to a project that I will share soon. Safe to say it's all about reusing and re-purposing and keeping costs as low as possible. So the garden does not look it's best but there are still things out there that make me smile...like these apples forming in the little tree we planted last year. I'm hoping for some free food :0)


A concept I'm finally grasping is "a penny saved is a penny earned."
 I'm unlikely to get a significant pay rise for the foreseeable future, but by trimming spending wherever I can...even if it is only a few pennies...I can in effect, give myself a pay rise.

I bought a secondhand copy of THIS book a while back and while I found a lot of the advice rather odd, it did make me think. A comment that when you spend money you actually spend it twice stuck with me. Sounds crazy but if you think that  by spending it on something you are preventing yourself spending it on something else it  makes sense...well it does to me.

Image result for payslip images


Just a few days ago I managed to pay off a loan we had taken out for a replacement central heating boiler a whole year early. That made me very happy as it was quite a high interest rate (because I had been too lazy to try and find a better deal) .
Knowing I have at least saved a hundred pounds or so in interest is a good feeling, and not having this loan amount going out of my bank every month will help us with further saving....for an emergency fund to hopefully avoid another loan.

We do have an expensive time ahead with driving lessons for our twins who have just turned 17. I know it's not essential to learn to drive...and we won't be in a position to fund cars when they pass...but I do want to help them get this skill "under their belt", as it were.


Being able to do things like this for the family makes all the effort worth while. Well it doesn't really seem like effort most of the time. Yes I suppose it would be nice to have a spending spree....but I know it would not make me happy in the long term. 
Being careful and making savings. Not wasting money or resources. These are things that give me satisfaction and peace of mind.
 As Ilona says, it's a game I want to win :0)

I'd love to hear how you are getting on lovelies. Your comments on these posts always inspire me. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Jacquie x

15 comments:

  1. I do find the more I save/cut costs the more I want too. My goal at the moment is to cut out or at least cut back on products I'm consistently buying such as plastic storage/freezer food bags and plastics in general. A couple ways I've found that helps is re-usable containers to store food in the freezer and left-overs in the fridge, for the fridge I use glass pyrex refrigerator dishes, they have lids and they come in lots of sizes and are convenient to use, they stack wonderfully. For the freezer it's been more of a challenge most containers are made from plastics but at least it's not a weekly purchase. For trips whether short or long we pack our snacks/meals and drinks, that we fill ourselves at home, no sodas (they're not good for us anyway). Coffee is made at home as well, they have really good travel mugs now. AT the moment I'm purging in my laundry room and all those sheets that have lost their mates, I'm turning into pillow cases and even backings for quilts. I always try to think of another purpose for something before discarding it (that helps save money as well) no need for new pillow cases now. lol Good luck with the driving lessons! Been there, done that, whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to use less plastic too Angela. I keep old margarine and ice cream containers to store leftovers and home made soup. I love your idea to make pillowcases from old sheets.
      I always take drinks and snacks when we go out too.It surprises me how small saving like this do add up and it makes me happy to use less disposable plastic and card.
      Thank you for your comment lovely
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  2. We're in the process of acquiring a puppy and the amount of money involved is making me feel ill. But as you say, we make choices, and hopefully this is something that will make everyone happy. Plus it will encourage us to get out and do plenty of walking in the countryside - free and healthy pastime! The allotment is a great source of cheap food for us. It doesn't have to cost a fortune to grow your own. The perennial stuff alone - fruit, artichokes, asparagus etc. - more than repays the annual rent of £12. Everyone down at the site is always reusing and repurposing things, it's great. Good luck with your garden. I saw a lovely garden on the television once that was done on a really tiny budget. All things grown from seeds and cuttings from friends and recycled wooden things, it was gorgeous. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh exciting times for you CJ. I'm sure a puppy will be a great addition to your family.
      Thank you for the lovely comment.
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  3. When temptation is always in your face, it's very hard to keep your money in your purse. Yesterday I was in the bus station and thought it was about time I had some chocolate. I went into one of those kiosk shops and browsed the shelves. I only wanted a small bar, but they were just as expensive as a large bar. I suddenly thought, what the heck am I doing, I am not going to pay that much, and I don't actually need any chocolate. So I sucked a mint instead, which I already had in my bag.

    I wouldn't say 49p is a massive saving on that book. Plain yogurt is cheaper than Greek Style, but you probably like that better. I bought one of each once and did a taste test, I couldn't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, no not massive at all...they now how to exaggerate, but every little saving does help doesn't it.
    We do like the Greek style yogurt and it's 75p in Aldi. Because it's full fat and very thick I tend to use less which makes it last longer. I also like strong cheese as you don't need much.
    Thanks for your interesting comment Ilona.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work!
    I was a bit surprised though, I figured you for a frugal person :-).
    It will become a second nature, I assure you, being frugal. It will bring you so much more in life! I've been cutting and saving for a few years now. Small steps at a time and we often need the money we saved for car or house repairs, but it gets better every time. And I find that I need less than what I thought I needed.
    Great that your giving your boys the possibility to get their drivers license. Some people think kids should pay for it themselves, but I think parents should pay. To me it falls in the same category as swimming lessons. Part of their upbringing.

    Best wishes
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been frugal in some areas Anita, but lazy in others. Writing down all our spending and adding up all our direct debits opened my eyes. It does get easier and the boys are getting on board too. They ask for much less so it's good to be able to support them with important things like driving.
      Thank you for commenting
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  6. As the saying goes 'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves', even small savings add up in the end. It is always a relief to pay off a loan so congratulations on paying your heating boiler off early. Have you considered putting a portion of what your monthly payment would have been into a monthly savings account? I did this a couple of years ago when a loan ended and it was great at the end of the year to have earned some interest rather than paying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. Yes I am going to do this. I'm determined to have a fund for maintenance and essential large purchases.
      Thanks for all your kind comments.
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  7. A very good post, Jacquie! Some wise words there. I have always been the one for saving, minimizing waste and avoiding unnecessary purchases and expenses, but there is always scope for improvement. I added the book you mentioned to my Amazon To Buy List. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Vesna. I think I get the best advice and impetus to try harder from Frugal blogs. There are a few in my side bar. They cost nothing and have no environmental impact to read.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a young wife I had to be frugal out of necessity. At times I resented it. But I became very good at it, and in time it became a game, and like Ilona, I loved wining it. Which means beating out the marketing masters and realizing that not buying can be as big of a high as spending. And there is no buyers remorse when I leave something on the shelf. It can be hard to walk away, but later I am so pleased I did. I always figure if I have any real regret I can return and buy it later and if it's gone it was not meant to be. One of the upsides to this is that if you do it long enough and do it well you will accumulate wealth and eventually have plenty of disposable income at hand and that is a wonderful feeling. While money can't buy happiness it can provide relief in many areas and ease some of the burdens of life. Sounds to me like you are playing the game quite well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bargains and that geets me in trouble. I try not to shop for anything that is not essential - like food. I have a garden that is small but does give me tomatos, cucumbers, squash, beans and corn. I'm going to plant every few weeks to make it last longer. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to the boys with driving lessons. I am one that believe that a penny saved is a penny earned so to economize is always wise. Mindless spending is silly. Wishing you a great Spring time!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.