Monday 7 August 2017

Carnival Time

Hello Lovelies,
on Friday mum and I had a little outing into Derbyshire. We parked up in Cromford, where this vintage car and caravan combination made me smile.


We had a picnic and then, while mum set off to drive the short distance to neighbouring Bonsall, you guessed it, I walked :0)

First I passed the lovely mill pond.


Then up this steep lane.


I found the footpath easily and continued to climb.


I was walking from the bottom right of this picture to the top left.


The path was along the edge of a disused quarry which I glimpsed occasionally.


The were not many views and after about half an hour or so I was glad to arrive at Bonsall


Where the hillsides looked pretty.


and so did the gardens.


There was bunting outside the church.


Along with this impressive Well Dressing.


Well dressings are a tradition in these parts. They are made by painstakingly pressing individual flower petals into clay.


Walking further into the village I loved the jumble of rooftops.


There was lots more bunting attached to the impressive market cross.


Ooh look, another well dressing. And this one is actually dressing a well.


Bonsall is a vibrant community and we had chosen to visit during carnival week.

This window display made me smile. I'm pretty sure this is a private house not a shop these days, but there was a mannequin in carnival type costume looking out.


I simply love rainbow bunting and it made this pretty spot even more delightful.


Just above the market cross there was a footpath.


Which I decided to investigate. I met another couple walking here. We stopped to chat and they commented I was the only other walker they had met despite the fact they had covered many miles. Quiet surprising for such a popular walking area on a sunny summers day.


Climbing higher the path had nice views of the village.


I zoomed in to capture the scene more clearly.


The path came out by some cottages, and here I came across my favourite well dressing. It didn't matter that it wasn't actually on a well.


I thought is was simply stunning. The night sky made from tiny purple flowers and spiky straw to add texture to the owl's wing were a couple of my favourite details.


The well dressings often have collection pots. Appropriately this one was for a Barn Owl conservation scheme. I was happy to make a donation.


Next there was more steep climbing to the part of Bonsall known as "Uppertown". The well here didn't have a dressing this year, but it still looked pretty.


Soon I was heading downhill again. It's a very uphill and down dale sort of place, with charming scenes on every corner.




The houses tumble down the hillside.


It was nearly time to go home but there was some special bunting I had missed, so I went off in search of it.

Nope, not here.


Or here.


Ahhh, here it is.


Let me zoom in.


Tee hee . I loved this amusing idea to string up some rather large "vintage" underwear along with the more traditional bunting.


All too soon it was time to head home, but mum knew a way "over the tops" as we always called it when I was little.


So there was  chance to gaze at the beautiful far reaching view before joining the main road home.


Mum did do a painting while I walked. I really must photograph it to share with you all very soon

Jacquie x

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely trip.Treasure every moment with your Mum.My Mum died when I was 24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you pop into the wonderful Scarthin Books?!

    I love that area. Not been to Bonsall for a while - the last time I saw their well dressings the one where the owl is this year was bees with an appropriate collection. The owl is fantastic, I wish I had time this year to get out to some of the well dressings, but life is just so busy we're not even managing walks!

    A lovely collection of photos :)


    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful walk on a beautiful day. The well decorating looks fascinating. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. From time to time I visit your blog just to enjoy the wonderful pictures you take and th see he beautiful places you always find. I'm from Germany, but I do love the UK and the diversity of British landscapes. Visiting your page is always like a little lunch-break-holiday. Thank you so much! Anika

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a pretty place! The well dressings are incredible aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pictures... and Beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mannequin is till there then. Nice area, nice photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like such a fun walk. My favorite was the owl too. Thank you for sharing this with us as I know I will never be able to take these walks that you do. It makes me feel almost as if I we're there. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. what a great walk you had and I adored the town full of stone houses and colorful buntings. We can't go on our camping trip this year due to my husbands painful back... so maybe I should hang my rainbow bunting on the gazebo for the time being. I look forward to seeing your Mum's painting of the day. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!

    ąøœąø„ąøšąø­ąø„

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely and I so enjoy your photos and walks and views. What a beautiful countryside and darling village with buntings....even the vintage one! LOL! The well dressings are gorgeous and what painstaking work! I may never make it across the pond but I am ever so grateful for your tours as the countryside is what I most enjoy anyway...not the touristy places. Beautiful! Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As your other messages attest, your beautiful blog helps knit up the raveled sleeve of care. And, being a Yank, I'll soon have no sleeves left! When blogs became more photo-centric a few years ago, I dropped a number of my favorites because I got bored with repetitive photos of back gardens and sunsets. But your photos always tell an interesting story, and I love hitch-hiking along with you. I've never seen the well dressings, and I am an avid fan of such lovely customs--thank you so much. Kate in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great views. I have heard of well dressing but never really seen it. I bet they have a good gossip while doing it. jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the caravan and of course the "bunting", but my favorite is the well dressings, what a wonderful tradition that has been carried on. Thanks for sharing.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww these photos are absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful place! I have never even heard of a well dressing but they are lovely.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.